On a separate note, we recently passed the date which was supposed to be our finish line. I had a countdown clock set to go off on our last day. We had stopped looking at it since it was no longer accurate, but yesterday it started chiming! It was a little depressing and sucks to think that we should be on a plane, but what do you do. I am actually glad that day has passed. Before we were still doing our normal year tour, and we had this extension hanging over us. Now I am at least able to think that we are in the final stretch. Below is an additional photo that we had taken a week or so ago. It is the group I am here working with. It is a rare occasion that we are able to all be together, since we work different shifts and the radios need to be manned at all times, so complete group pictures of us are rare.
Sunday, March 11, 2007
The Dog and Pony Show
I had hoped to get this out sooner, I've been waiting for better pics of the event. I'm still waiting for those pictures so this one will have to do for now, and I will post the others when I get them. As many of you know we had some V.I.P's in our area last week; Lt. Gen. Blum who is the Chief of the National Guard Bureau, and Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty.
They had a breakfast planned for some of the MN soldiers and airmen who are stationed here. It was held in the fancy dining room of the mess hall, so we had tablecloths and real napkins and all that sort of stuff. It was kind of weird being at a "fancy" breakfast and drinking out of a juice box though. Even though the setting was fancy it was a casual breakfast where the Gen. and Gov. were able to express there appreciation for what we do and also their sympathy for the 1/34th BCT (My unit) which was extended. They expressed regret not only for our being extended, but for the way the news was broken. The two ensured us that they too had found out the same way, and they were upset by it as well. General Blum presented each soldier who was extended a decorative coin showing his appreciation.
After breakfast a group photo was taken with all who attended. Then it was back to work for me. We had an additional visit with our guests when they stopped in to see our operations. They were spending their remaining time on our post visiting the units from MN. The picture I have included was taken in front of my building as they were getting ready to leave.
I usually don't like the whole "Dog and Pony Show" when distinguished visitors come around, but I have to admit this time was different. They were genuinely here to see how we were doing and find out what concerns we have. Usually they are more concerned about what we do and make sure things are running properly and it is generally a pain in the arse.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey Charlie, Mona is right. You all look great! I do have one question....the guy in the middle...what is he holding? It looks like a duck or some kind of bird from here?!?! Just curious!! He doesn't have a pet does he! Hee hee!
Post a Comment