Sunday, May 6, 2007

Beef... It's what's for dinner.

The kind people at Mancini's restaurant sent us a whole bunch of steaks which we were obliged to devour. This was by far the best meal I've had here in country. I think I had almost forgotten what a good steak tastes like. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. I'm gonna have to do some major grilling when I get home. The only thing missing was real beer, grilling is just not quite the same without it.
Things are definitely heating up here. Yesterday it was 101 in the shade, and 124 degrees in the sun. It's getting back to that point when the nights don't cool off anymore. People think I'm crazy for continuing to run in this heat, but I figure it's the only way to get used to it. If I'm to be expected to put on an additional 45lbs. worth of gear and fight a war in this weather, I'd better be able to run a few miles in it. Even though the odds of me doing anything like that in my current position are very slim, I still like to know that I can.
Not much else is new, still enjoying the pool when I can, and still watching the days go by.

SFC Mannz is manning the "Freedom Grill"
Mmmm... Beef!
Isn't that just beautiful?

2 comments:

Goetze's said...

That is one THICK steak! What a wonderful gesture! Just think, you'll be grilling yourself by the end of summer!!! Yippee!

124 degrees!! Holy cow, that is HOT! I can see how you would want to keep moving & get your body to adjust to it...but man..that has got to be uncomfortable! I can't imagine how fast your run will be when you get home & you take away all that heat!

Thank you for sacrificing so much on our behalf. You are a man of honor & I love you.

Your proud sister,
Kathy

mom said...

It is good to see you are getting some good American food once in a while. Just think soon you will be home and can have that everyday.

Can't wait until you get home.

I cannot imagine what it is like in that heat. Stay cool.

We have been having high 60's low 70's here but it is has been breezy and that makes it feel cooler.

love
mom