There are many things that tell me not in Kansas anymore: Waking up to the smell of burning garbage, having a room mate I can't curl up in bed with (like I do with my wife), having to go outside to take a shower or take a leak (not just when I'm camping). Some are more obvious like living in the busiest airspace in the world, jets and helicopters constantly on the move. Sporadic explosions; mortars, controlled detonations, IEDs. It's basically like living at an airshow with unscheduled fireworks.
All of this I have grown pretty accustom to. What I find funny is something that is very minor, and it makes me chuckle just about everytime I see it. For some reason it is a constant reminder that I am a very long way from home. It is my Google home page, since the internet connection in my room is routed through Hong Kong or some place over in Asia, Google loads in Chinese. The first time I saw this it took me a little bit to find the link for the English site. This is probably because I don't speak Chinese.
I don't know why this is noteworthy, I've just been awake for over 24 hours and felt like rambling I guess.
Saturday, January 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Good morning Charlie,
It is amazing the things that we can get used to on a daily basis isn't it? Chinese huh?! That is kind of funny! So do you leave it in Chinese? or go automatically to the English link?!
Just wanted to drop a quick line & let you know we are thinking about you again today...as is normal on this side of the world.
I hope that you have since gotten more sleep than when you posted this one. If not....then GO TO BED!
Love you & miss you,
Kathy
PS it is snowing out today, quite lovely actually.
Charlie on no sleep....hmmm...seen that before :)! I guess some things aren't different on the other side of the world...hehehe.
I love being able to check in like this, so keep it coming. Trenton just walked up, saw your picture and said, "hey, Charlie" like it was great to see you...even he misses you, man!
Any word on if your assignment will change?
We love you and pray for you all the time.
Oh, and as far as the cuddling goes, we can't help you there, but I did offer Sarah a fill-in husband if she needs. She was content using him to yell at for a day, but didn't go for the cuddling part....she probably had enough of that when you lived here..lol.
Love you lots and will be checking in often!
Cassi
Post a Comment